The Trust has recently signed a usufruct agreement with the Municipality of Vieques giving VCHT the use of the Escuela Barbosa — an unused school property in Puerto Real. Escuela Barbosa is ideal for the kind of work the Trust does i.e. education.
- Escuela Barbosa will make it possible to expand the number of participants in the Trust’s award winning MANTA programs that are now constrained by lack of space.
- It has space for a much-needed electronic library open to everyone in the community and for new training opportunities for the benefit of Viequense children, youth and adults.
- It has space for a research station that will attract researchers and students from Puerto Rico, other islands, and other countries and will promote science education, which will in turn lead to jobs for Viequenses.
- It can be a demonstration of a “green building” that recycles waste water and alternative energy sources.
- It has space for demonstrations of sustainable agriculture.
The Trust will be holding meetings during the next few months to gather input from the community for future uses of the property.
A joint VCHT and Muncipality event is scheduled for April 17th at 3 pm at Escuela Barbosa. Please join us for a tour.
To see Executive Director, Lirio’s Marquez D’Acunti’s presentation of the project, go to the following links
This link will be live until April 28, 2012.
Funds for renovations of Escuela Barbosa will be separate from the Trust’s regular budget